Emergency Department Technician
Company: Memorial Health System
Posted on: September 12, 2019
Provide direct patient care under the supervision and guidance of
the Registered Nurse to an assigned group of patients. Assist as a
team member to provide direct care to all patients in the emergency
department including all age groups. Nursing Care is provided in
accordance with established standards, policies, procedures,
protocols and guidelines. Transports medications as requested from
the Pharmacy to the nursing unit. Transports specimens to the
laboratory and retrieves blood products from the laboratory.
Responsible for maintaining and performing skills within the
Emergency Department Technicians' roles and
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Enrollment in nursing school with one (1) semester of clinicals
- Successful completion of Nursing Team Onboarding, unit-based
orientation, and clinical competency validation tool within 30 days
of hire.Annual Credentialing:
- Attends all Joint Commission, OSHA and Hospital/Nurse Manager
mandated inservices. Demonstrates clinical
- One of the following required: Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA)
or Emergency Medical Technician- Basic Licensure
- CPR certification required, or obtained during nursing team
- N/AOther Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- Demonstrated competency in written and oral communication and
- Demonstrates ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time
and lift up to 50 lbs.
- Demonstrates ability to complete Care Assistant classroom and
- Demonstrates care and compassion to patients, families and
visitors.Performs and documents nursing care measures to meet the
physical needs of patients as directed by the registered nurse.
Illustrative tasks and expectations include, but are not limited
to, the following:
- Provides hygiene and comfort measures, assuring privacy and
preventing undue exposure
- Prepares patient room to receive new patients or transfers to
another nursing unit.
- Assists with the admission process by greeting patient and
family, collects appropriate data and orients them to the room and
- Provides care to all age groups as defined by nursing standards
in the emergency department. Uses age appropriate communication
- Assists with patient's activities including ambulation, chair,
dangling and repositioning; uses proper body mechanics, positioning
techniques, and assistive devices.
- Provides bed pan/urinal or assist the patient to the
- Performs perineal care
- Performs bladder catheter care and discontinues bladder
catheter as directed
- Performs ostomy care (ileostomy, colostomy, urostomy) including
application of appropriate appliance
- Performs Bladder Scanning Performs and documents monitoring
procedures; observes and reports the patient response. Illustrative
tasks and expectations include, but are not limited to, the
- Obtains vital signs (B/P and TPR).
- Obtains weight in kg (standing, chair or bed scale) and reports
deviation from previous weight.
- Empties drainage collection devices.
- Performs blood glucose monitoring.
- Observes and reports unusual conditions and/or change in
patient behavior or appearance.
- Performs venous phlebotomy and collection of lab specimens
(EMT-B only)Performs therapeutic measures/procedure, observes and
reports changes, deviations from normal. Illustrative tasks and
expectations include, but are not limited to based on orientation
and competency, the following:
- Application of heat (i.e., K-pad).
- Application of cold (i.e., ice bags, sponge baths).
- Therapeutic baths (i.e., Sitz, Aveeno).
- Obtains routine non-sterile specimens.
- Assist with patient preparation for surgical, therapeutic
and/or diagnostic procedures.
- Applies nonsterile dressing as directed.
- Discontinues peripheral IV as directed.
- Performs oral pharyngeal suctioning.
- Preps skin and applies telemetry patches.
- Records all interventions; observes and reports the patient
response, changes, and/or deviations from normal parameters.
- Inserts peripheral IV (EMT-B only)
- Splint application assist
- Wound cleaningMaintains safety and security of
patient/family/self/others, observing safety precautions and
promoting a sense of security and well-being. Illustrative tasks
and expectations include but are not limited to the following:
- Conducts purposeful continuous rounding as a team member.
- Follows standard precautions. Always washes hands between
- Reports equipment malfunctions.
- Assists in keeping patient rooms/corridors free of clutter.
Cleans fluid spills.
- Uses proper body mechanics in moving, transferring and
- Positions side rails appropriate to the patient's
- Applies and maintains restraining devices as directed.
- Interacts with patients/visitors/others in a courteous and
- Fully explains procedures to patients/families prior to
- Assures patient privacy/rights/confidentiality.
- Recognizes and reports patient concerns; offers constructive
solutions. Promotes efficient and effective functioning of the
unit/hospital. Illustrative tasks and expectations include but are
not limited to, the following:
- Completes assigned aspects of unit inventory management.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, standards and
- Uses designated lines of communication and authority.
- Supports efforts to reduce costs.
- Consistently utilizes time and resources effectively and
- Maintains cleanliness of unit, service area and equipment.
- Cooperates with all members of the healthcare team.
- Enthusiastically supports and participates in planned
- Accepts responsibility for accurate and timely completion of
tasks as assigned.
- Adheres to MHS Behavioral Standards.Performs additional unit
specific tasks/care elements for which they have received specific
instruction and demonstrated competence. Maintains compliance with
standard infection control practices including hand hygiene and
isolation precautions Responsible to assist in cleaning the
emergency department areas and keeping unit organized and clutter
free. Performs other related work as required or requested. The
intent of this job description is to provide a representative
summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by
incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform
tasks other than those specifically presented in this
Keywords: Memorial Health System, Springfield , Emergency Department Technician, Professions , Springfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!