Unit Secretary- 6B Cardiac
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Serves as the primary communication and information "hub" for the
unit, answering telephones and patient call lights and ensuring
that appropriate parties receive information in an expeditious
manner. Enters patient orders into the electronic medical record in
a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy. Performs complex
secretarial and receptionist functions including ordering and
stocking needed supplies and equipment, filing, copying, and
printing patient data reports for the department. Patient care
tasks may be performed in accordance with established policies,
procedures, and guidelines.
High school graduate or GED required, associates or bachelor's
Two (2) years secretarial or comparable clerical experience
Medical Office Assistant certificate or one (1) year of business or
other related college coursework may be considered in lieu of
Demonstrates excellent interpersonal and customer service
Knowledge of medical terminology is strongly preferred.
Proficient with personal computers and software (including
Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
Demonstrates initiative, self-direction, motivation, and a proven
ability to work successfully with a variety of people and
- Promptly and courteously greets others in a friendly manner.
- Receives and directs others by using AIDET and Greet & Feet.
- Within scope of job description, responds to questions and
- Facilitates telephone, verbal, written, and electronic
communication with nursing staff, physicians, patients, and
visitors promptly, accurately, and professionally.
- Consistently uses the Physician Profile to ascertain the
correct method/number to page physicians.
- Updates and maintains call light system assignments accurately
and efficiently during each shift.
- Appropriately utilizes the Patient Tracking system in
communicating with the Patient Placement Office.
2. Information Processing
- Prioritizes stat orders and immediate needs.
- Processes orders accurately.
- Accurately inputs data into the electronic medical record and
maintains accurate paper records for those items that are not
- Refers patient/visitor concerns to nursing and/or customer
- Refers news media to nursing or public relations staff.
- Demonstrates safe, accurate, and effective use of office
- Writes legibly and clearly.
3. Medical Records Maintenance
- Assembles chart forms.
- Puts patient identifier on all chart forms.
- Thins charts when needed and forwards documents to Medical
- Files patient data after review by nurse.
- Sends discharge patient record to Medical Records.
- Gathers and copies appropriate paperwork from the RN for
patient transfers to other units and facilities.
- Manages large amounts of sensitive and confidential information
concerning patient and family information in medical documents.
4. Service Requisitions
- In partnership with the Nursing Material Specialists, assures
adequate supplies are available.
- Reviews receipts of new supplies and equipment upon arrival;
validates accuracy and places supplies in assigned location.
- Sends service requisitions to interdisciplinary departments.
- Promptly and accurately enters data and maintains unit activity
sheets as directed.
- Maintains equipment logs and facilitate maintenance of
equipment with Biomed or appropriate department.
5. Unit Operations
- Utilizes time and resources effectively and efficiently.
- Assists in maintaining safe environment and reports unsafe
- Completes assigned tasks accurately and timely.
- Completes basic patient care tasks as directed by registered
- Freshens drinking water.
- Serves/collects food trays.
- Responds to call lights and bed/chair alarms.
- Provides 1:1 direct and constant patient observation as
- Expedites timely admission, discharge, and transfer of patients
to facilitate patient flow.
- Participates in QI activities; maintaining logs, statistical
records, and data collection.
- Acts as a preceptor as needed.
- Handles medications delivered from pharmacy directly or through
the pneumatic tube system. Relocates these medications, in original
containers, to designated secure storage locations or delivers
directly to appropriate licensed staff.
- Assists with stocking unit supply stations.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, standards, and
- Follows the chain of command.
- Consistently utilizes time and resources effectively and
- Maintains cleanliness of unit, service area, and equipment.
- Cooperates with all members of the healthcare team.
- Enthusiastically supports and participates in planned changes.
- Accepts responsibility for accurate and timely completion of
tasks as assigned.
- Upholds the mission and vision of MHS.
Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative
summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by
incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform
tasks other than those specifically presented in this
Keywords: Memorial Health, Springfield , Unit Secretary- 6B Cardiac, Other , Springfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!