Mental Health DON at Logan CC
Company: Wexford Health
Posted on: June 11, 2021
Wexford Health Sources,
one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care
companies, provides clients with experienced management and
technologically advanced services, combined with programs that
control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades,
Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise
and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy,
utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing,
and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our
philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury
for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the
corrections environment is our venue.
Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for
a Director of Nursing – Mental Health
to join our team of healthcare
We’re proud to offer a
competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with
- Generous paid-time off
program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Comprehensive health
insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision
- 401(k) retirement savings
- Company-paid short-term
- Healthcare and dependent
care spending account
Under the direct
supervision of the Site Mental Health Services Director, has the
authority, responsibility and accountability for structuring,
comprehensive planning and implementing the Mental Health Nursing
Services Program that guides the delivery of a quality mental
health care program.
- Provides direct
supervision of Mental Health nursing staff including hiring,
scheduling, assigning duties, evaluating, disciplining, adjusting
grievances and discharging.
- Provides input on
proposals for collective bargaining.
- Receives and reviews daily
crisis intervention and infirmary reports.
- Maintains a working
knowledge of all Mental Health Administrative
- Manages and delegates all
mental health nursing functions within the residential care
- Coordinates and provides quality mental health
orientations and in-service trainings.
- Coordinates and monitors requirements for
- Maintains working knowledge of psychotropic
medications, their potential side effects and drug
- Provides direction/oversight of mental health
nursing staff ensuring proper administration of medications,
knowledge of psychotropic medication, their potential side effects
and drug interactions, offender care, and maintenance of mental
health records according to the standards of quality
- Maintains working knowledge of social and
behavioral sciences, particularly as applied to the correctional
- Maintains and ensures confidentiality of mental
health patient documentation.
- Provides guidance to the mental health nursing
staff in managing both chronic and acute mental health patient care
- Maintains working knowledge of psychiatric
diagnoses, their presenting risk factors and corresponding
symptomology per the Diagnostic and Statistical
- Maintains working knowledge of evidence-based
- Participates in planning, priority setting and
the development of policies and procedures for mental health care
activities that are in compliance with contractual requirements,
the Department of Corrections and national
- Develops, implements and evaluates the
philosophy, goals and objectives of the Mental Health
- Notifies the WHS Staffing Department of vacant
or upcoming vacant positions in a timely manner and actively
assists the Staffing Department in the filling of vacant
- Is familiar with overtime and commodities
budgets and works to remain within
- Notifies Site Manager or Site MH Services
Director of staffing variances related to the Schedule
- Obtains approval of Wexford Health
Administration and IDOC prior to exceeding staffing hours as
stipulated in the Schedule E or ASR (Adjusted Services
- Strives to ensure 100% compliance of Schedule E
and ASR staffing hours.
- Complies with and enforces Wexford
Health/Facility Policy and Procedures and ensures subordinate
- Is familiar with all aspects of the Wexford
Health/AFSCME Collective Bargaining Agreement and operates
consistent with the language as interpreted by Wexford Health
- Prepares and submits monthly reports as
requested by WHS or IDOC Administration.
- Conducts regular meetings with mental health
nursing staff as required per Company/Facility
- Acts as administrator on call for mental health
nursing emergencies or staff needs.
- Member of the Quality Assurance
- Develops and maintains appropriate staffing
schedule for Division of Mental Health Nursing Services in
accordance with contract terms of mental health nursing coverage.
Responsible for making changes in time schedules and granting
special requests for time off, if
- Serves as representative for, and/or liaison
between, Mental Health Nursing services and other health care
providers, as well as Health Care Unit Administrator, and
coordinates patient care with other
- Remains visible and is responsive to all medical
- Prepares and conducts employee evaluations
designed to improve performance, work conditions and maintenance of
accurate patient care.
- Maintains good relationships with community
- Keeps abreast and follows through on incidents
occurring on all shifts.
- Is available for conferences on all
- Counsels mental health nursing personnel in
following established protocols and
- Ensures all communicable diseases are reported
to the local/state health authorities as appropriate or
- Reviews all discrepancies in sharps and tool
counts, investigates, reconciles and applies appropriate corrective
- Reviews all medication errors, investigates,
reconciles and applies appropriate corrective
- Responds to offender grievances as
- Assesses established policies and reviews
policies as needed.
- Make suggestions for improving work conditions
to the Site MH Services Director.
- Accepts constructive criticism, maintains
professionalism in stressful situations, and approaches change in a
- Communicates information in a professional and
respectful manner promoting good working relationships across
- Performs other related duties as required or
The duties and
responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes only;
employees may be assigned other duties as
The physical demands that
are described here are representative of those that must be met by
an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the
duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, to
hear and to see, to stand, walk, and sit, use hands to finger,
handle or feel objects, instruments or controls, to reach with hands and arms, to stoop or
crouch, balance and kneel, may be required to lift and/or move
objects. Specific vision abilities required by this job include
close vision and distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision,
depth perception, and the ability to adjust
focus. This position may require rotating assignments,
operating on a 24 hour a day, 7 days a week schedule where employee
is subject to working non-traditional hours, either voluntarily or
via mandate, on occasion as needed.
Employee may be exposed to
a challenging environment, which may include exposure to bloodborne
and airborne pathogens, verbal and physical assault, and loud
Standard medical setting within a correctional
facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmate patients,
correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature
extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility
outdoors and indoors in buildings without air
Minimal travel required.
Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of
- Certified as a
Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse or obtains certification within 1
year of employment.
- Health Care Provider CPR
- Graduate from an
accredited School of Nursing with minimum of Associate Degree in
- Bachelors’ Degree
EXPERIENCE: 2 years as a practicing Registered Nurse with
a minimum of 1 year in Mental Health Nursing.
Keywords: Wexford Health, Springfield , Mental Health DON at Logan CC, Other , Lincoln, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!