Registered Respiratory Therapist
Company: Memorial Health System
Posted on: September 12, 2019
Initiate, maintain, and discontinue basic and intensive respiratory
therapy equipment and techniques in the administration of
prescribed respiratory care procedure to patients of all ages with
cardiopulmonary disorders. Education:
- Graduate of AMA approved School of Respiratory
- Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care or
graduated from certificate-only program prior to 1996.
- Must have an active Illinois Respiratory Care Practitioner
- Current CPR certification.Experience:
- Demonstrates the ability to provide respiratory care and
therapy to patients of all ages and condition, including intensive
care, neonatal, and pediatric patients.
- May possess the technical skills, education, and experience to
- Prepares and tests R.T. equipment for proper and safe operation
and periodically checks R.T. equipment in use and on units for
proper operation and routine service. Reports malfunctioning
equipment to manager.
- Follows and enforces safety rules, instructions, and procedures
of the Respiratory Therapy Department and hospital to contain and
minimize the spread of infection.
- Receives, documents, and executes physician's orders relating
to Respiratory Care Order Set. Interprets and evaluates physician's
orders and charts that pertain to respiratory and identifies
possible contraindications to medications, treatments and related
hazard with their use.
- Measures and administers prescribed medications to patients,
such as oxygen and aerosolized medications to patients. Administers
the following procedures or therapies; Ezpap, chest physical
therapy, incentive spirometry, TB skin tests, pulse oximetry and
bedside pulmonary function/mechanics, high-flow oxygen
- Assesses patient's condition and response to respiratory
therapy by checking patient's pulse, blood pressure, respiratory
frequency, tidal volume, inspiratory pressure, cough, sputum,
breath sounds, and other pertinent data that relates to the
patient. Must also be alert to adverse reactions of patient during
treatment, plus be aware of proper response to emergencies.
- Recognizes and responds to the signs of cardiopulmonary arrest
and/or failure and life threatening arrhythmias seen on EKG's. As
necessary, assists in performing and/or initiating CPR
- Modifies therapy in accordance with respiratory care order set
in cases of adverse or ineffective patient response and reports
changes to shift supervisor.
- Records procedures, patient responses, and medication
administration in accordance with departmental documentation
requirements. Relays same information orally or in writing to
management and/or other therapist(s) as shift changes occurs.
- Participates in in-services, continuing education, and other
staff development activities to develop and maintain necessary
- Maintains the security and confidentiality of all patient
records and information.
- Evaluates and ensures the accuracy of ABG reports and informs
the proper physician, nurse, and/or therapist of abnormal
- Performs arterial punctures using approved criteria and
maintains competency through annual review. Can also analyze ABG's
via GEM Premier.
- May perform endotracheal intubations using approved criteria
and maintains competency through annual review.
- Maintains, monitors, and provides respiratory care to patients
on continuous mechanical ventilation.
- Provides respiratory care to ICU (including lung auscultation);
recommends or obtains ABG samples, x-rays, O2, and other
respiratory care procedures as patient condition warrants. Alerts
the appropriate staff of any changes in patient condition.
- Monitors and cares for patients with artificial airways and
- Instructs patients, families, and other hospital personnel in
the proper use of respiratory therapy equipment and the associates
of procedures and techniques used.
- Provides pulmonary services in the emergency department.
Performs patient assessment and treatment according to the
emergency department /respiratory care protocol.
- Makes recommendations for changes and improvements in hospital
equipment and procedures to maintain best practice.
- Participates in departmental or multi-disciplinary teams
related to clinical quality, safety education, best practice,
patient satisfaction, or process improvements.
- Collaborates and shares clinical information with the
multi-disciplinary health team to achieve evidence based care and
- Serves as a back-up for other areas within the unit or
department, especially during times of special needs or staff
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
Keywords: Memorial Health System, Springfield , Registered Respiratory Therapist, Healthcare , Springfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!