Certified Registered Nurse First Assistant (Surgical Assistant 2) - Orthopedics
Company: Springfield Clinic
Posted on: March 17, 2023
- The Surgical Assistant 2 is resposible for being a First Assist
to the surgeon on a full-time basis in the OR.
- Job Relationships
- Reports to the Operations Manager
- Principal Responsibilities
- Must be employed by the supervising surgeon 30 days or longer,
if necessary, before assisting in the O.R. to assure competency,
and must provide evidence of special training in the O.R. as a
- Obtain privileges and act as First Assistant to the surgeon in
operative procedures at the ASC and local and area hospitals where
the surgeon has privileges to perform surgery.
- May assist in the O.R. suite with positioning of the patient,
preparing the operative field (skin preparation and draping), and
review the equipment and instruments required for the
- May perform designated wound closure approved by the
- May write orders, progress notes and diagnostic information on
the patient's record in preparation for the surgeon's review and
- May request supplies and equipment necessary for the
- Must promote effective rapport and cooperative spirit with
related hospital and clinic personnel.
- May assist or make rounds in the hospital for the attending
surgeon. May review the patient's record for lab reports, x-ray
findings and nursing comments where the pertinent information may
be directed to the attending surgeon. These visits may also involve
inspection of wounds and dressings, instructions to the patient,
exercises and other convalescent activities and supplying health
literature booklets and written post-operative
- May assist families in making discharge arrangement.
- Must be able to take call to assist in the O.R. as
- Must carry a beeper during clinic office hours and when on call
- Perform other job duties as assigned.
- Comply with the Springfield Clinic incident reporting policy
- Adhere to all OSHA and Springfield Clinic training &
accomplishments as required per policy.
- Provide excellent customer service and adhere to SC Way
customer service philosophy.
- Graduate of RN with evidence of completed certification as a
First Assistant in the O.R.
- At least five (5) years of O.R. experience.
- ACLS helpful but not required.
- Must maintain current license of RN.
- CPR certification per American Heart Association guidelines
required within 30 days of hire.
- Must be a first Assistant in the Operating Room by AORN
Standards or an equivalent.
- Certification as a Surgical First Assistant (CSFA).
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must demonstrate professional behavior at all times.
- May attend in-services and workshops relevant to the
- Good communication skills.
- Computer knowledge essential.
- Ability to work well under stress.
- Ability to work under stress and must possess organizational
- Work in a clinic and hospital environment.
- Requires standing for long periods of time.
- May be required to lift.
- Frequent exposure to communicable diseases and toxic
Keywords: Springfield Clinic, Springfield , Certified Registered Nurse First Assistant (Surgical Assistant 2) - Orthopedics, Healthcare , Springfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...