Registered Respiratory Therapist
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Initiates, maintains, and discontinues basic and intensive
respiratory therapy techniques and equipment in the administration
of prescribed respiratory care procedures to patients with
- Graduate of approved Respiratory Therapy Program
- Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Possesses a valid and active Illinois Respiratory Care
- Healthcare Provider or Instructor BLS certification required
within 30 days of hire.
- ACLS and NRP provider or instructor certifications required
within 1 year of hire.
- Demonstrates the ability to provide respiratory care and
therapy to patients of all ages and conditions, including intensive
care, neonatal, and pediatric patients.
1. Prepares and tests respiratory therapy equipment for proper and
safe operation and periodically checks equipment in use and on
units for proper operations and routine service. Reports
malfunctioning equipment to manager.
2. Receives, documents, and executes physicians' orders relating to
respiratory therapy protocol. Interprets and evaluates physician
orders and charts that pertain to respiratory care and identifies
possible contraindications to medications, treatments, and related
hazard with their use.
3. Measures and administers prescribed medications, such as oxygen
and aerosolized medications, to patients. Administers procedures
and therapies as needed.
4. Assesses patients' conditions and responses to respiratory
5. Recognizes and treats adverse reactions and emergency situations
arising during treatment.
6. Recognizes and responds to the signs of cardiopulmonary arrest
and/or failure and life-threatening arrhythmias during EKGs. As
necessary, assists in performing and/or initiating CPR
7. Records procedures, patient responses, and medication
administration in compliance with departmental documentation
8. Processes routine and stat hospital EKGs and prepares them for
the interpreting physician(s).
9. Performs nasal and tracheal suctioning of patients and obtains
tracheal secretions for cultures.
10. Maintains, monitors, and provides respiratory care to patients
on continuous mechanical ventilators.
11. Provides respiratory care to ICU (including lung auscultation);
recommends respiratory care procedures as patient condition
warrants. Alerts the appropriate staff of any changes in patient
12. Monitors and cares for patients with artificial airways and
13. Instructs patients, families, and other hospital personnel in
the proper use of respiratory therapy equipment and the associated
procedures and techniques used.
14. Provides cardiopulmonary services in the emergency department.
Performs patient assessment and treatment according to the
emergency department/ respiratory care protocol.
15. Makes recommendations for changes and improvements in hospital
equipment and procedures to maintain best practice.
16. Participates in departmental or multidisciplinary teams related
to clinical quality, safety, education, best practice, patient
satisfaction, or process improvement.
Keywords: Memorial Health, Springfield , Registered Respiratory Therapist, Healthcare , Lincoln, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!