Certified Respiratory Therapist
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: April 10, 2021
Initiate, maintain, and discontinue basic and intensive respiratory
therapy equipment and techniques in the administration of
prescribed respiratory care procedure to patients of all ages with
- Graduate of AMA approved School of Respiratory Care.
- Certified by the National Board for Respiratory Care or
- Must have an active Illinois Respiratory Care Practitioner
- Current CPR certification.
- Minimum cleaning and maintenance of R.T. equipment.
- Prepares and tests R.T. equipment for proper and safe operation
and periodically checks R.T. equipment in use and on units for
proper operation and routine service. Reports malfunctioning
equipment to manager.
- Follows and enforces safety rules, instruction and procedures
of the Respiratory Therapy Department and hospital to contain and
minimize the spread of infection.
- Receives, documents, and executes physician's orders relating
to Respiratory Care Order Set. Interprets and evaluates physician's
orders and charts that pertain to respiratory and identifies
possible contraindications to medications, treatments, and related
hazard with their use.
- Measures and administers prescribed medications to patients,
such as oxygen and aerosolized medications. Administers the
following procedures or therapies; EzPAP, chest physical therapy,
incentive spirometry, TB skin tests, pulse oximetry, and bedside
pulmonary function/mechanics, high flow oxygen therapy.
- Assesses patient's condition and response to respiratory
therapy by checking patients pulse, blood pressure, respiratory
frequency, tidal volume, inspiratory pressure, cough, sputum,
breath sounds, and other pertinent data that relates to the
patient. Must also be alert to adverse reactions of patient during
treatment, plus be aware of proper response to emergencies.
- Recognizes and responds to the signs of cardiopulmonary arrest
and/or failure and life threatening arrhythmias during EKG's. As
necessary, assists in performing and or initiating CPR
- Modifies therapy to deal with adverse or ineffective patient
response or reports changes to shift supervisor.
- Records procedures, patient response, and medication
administration in compliance with departmental documentation
requirements. Relays same information.
- Participates in in-services, continuing education, and other
staff development activities.
- Keeps confidential all patient information received and follows
MMC Guest Relations guidelines.
- Evaluates ABG reports and checks for accuracy of results and
reports abnormal reports to proper therapist, nurse, and/or
- Performs arterial punctures when certified to perform procedure
by Medical Director (otherwise procedure is done only under direct
supervision of ABG certified individual). Able to run ABG samples
on the GEM Premier 4000.
- Performs nasal and tracheal suctioning of patients of all ages
and obtains tracheal secretions for culture.
- Performs CPR procedures as part of Stat Code Team.
- Maintains patients on continuous mechanical ventilators and is
responsible for providing these patients with respiratory care
(monitors patients every 1-3 hours).
- Under the supervision of registered therapist, performs the
- Is primarily responsible for the respiratory stature of
patients in ICU and makes appropriate decisions to insure that
these patients are receiving the best in respiratory care;
recommends or obtains ABG samples, x-rays, O2, and other
respiratory care procedures that one feels is necessary for the
- Implements weaning procedures from continuous mechanical
ventilations and monitors patients during this procedure.
- Alerts therapist, supervisor, RN, and Physician or Medical
Director to any changes in the cardiopulmonary status of patients
in the ICU or any other critically ill patient of any age.
- Monitors endotracheal cuffs on patients of all ages with
artificial airways; assists in airway care as indicated.
- Assists in clinical instruction of RT students.
- Auscultates lungs of patients in ICU and reports findings to
proper RN, therapist, or physician.
- Instructs patients, families, and other MMC personnel in the
proper care of RT procedures and techniques.
- May assist physician in performing bronchoscopy, certified by
medical director. Maintains all supplies, monitors patients,
obtains cultures and cytology samples and sterilizes equipment.
Participates in conscious sedation procedures and patient
- Perform skin testing (certified by Medical Director)
- Provides pulmonary services in the Emergency Department.
Performs patients assessments and treatment according to the
Emergency Department/Respiratory Care protocol.
- Participates in departmental or multidisciplinary teams related
to clinical quality, safety, education, best practices, or process
- Follows MMC & Pulmonary Medicine infection control
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Performs all duties under supervision of Registered Therapist
or shift supervisor.
Associated topics: aso, crt, resp, respiratory, respiratory care,
respiratory therapist, rrt, therapist
Keywords: Memorial Health, Springfield , Certified Respiratory Therapist, Healthcare , Springfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!