Medical Service Technician
Company: Memorial Health
Posted on: February 14, 2020
Transports and delivers durable medical, mobility, and basic
respiratory care equipment and supplies to customer homes.
Assembles and verifies the performance of equipment in customer
homes. Provides detailed equipment use and care instructions to
patients and/or caregivers. Works independently after hours on call
for delivery or trouble shooting of equipment and supplies. Serves
as an independent back-up in other key areas in the warehouse
operations as determined by management
- Education equivalent to graduation from high school is
- Must possess a valid Illinois driver's license and be deemed as
an acceptable driver in accordance with the MHS Fleet Safety Policy
(five year MVR will be required). A valid Illinois Class C license
(Commercial Driver's License with hazardous materials endorsement)
is a plus. Experience:
- Minimum one year of customer service experience required. Other
- Attain required Medical Service Technician CBL'S through the
online Med University within the first 90 days.
- Strong mechanical and assembly aptitude preferred.
Understanding of, and experience with, combustible materials is
- Demonstrated broad understanding of the majority of home
medical equipment and the ability to independently perform in-home
setups associated with them is required.
- Possesses basic personal computer skills, with the ability to
retrieve and enter limited amounts of data is required.
- Good oral communication, customer relations, listening,
analytical, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Highly flexible, ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Proactive problem solving skills.
- Flexibility to work weekends and on call shifts.
- Drives a company vehicle to transport a variety of durable
medical, mobility, and basic respiratory care equipment and
supplies to patients' homes. Medical Service Technician is required
to do all pre and post trip inspections. After inspection MST is
required to report repair or maintenance issues to ensure vehicle
complies with inspection requirements.
- Selects appropriate equipment, loads/unloads medical equipment
from company vehicle and delivers it to the desired location inside
the customers' homes. As necessary, utilizes a variety of
assistance devices, such as dollies, carts, cargo straps, etc. to
aid in the delivery and transportation process.
- Assembles equipment and provides detailed instruction
concerning proper use and care. Medical Service Technician will
make recommendations to customers to enhance equipment
effectiveness or safety.
- All paperwork related to deliveries & maintenance is complete,
organized, accurate and submitted to the supervisor at the end of
each day. Obtain patient signatures for billing purposes. May
handle monetary exchanges as required on the route.
- Conforms to on-call requirements as assigned. Schedules and
prioritizes routing of in-home customer visits resulting from
- Receives, interprets, and verifies the completion of daily work
orders by obtaining customers' signatures or by completing
documentation. Arranges for the completion of follow up work or
notates work referred to other departments for handling in
customers electronic chart note field Reviews final work orders for
accuracy, completion, and approval prior to routing.
- Prior to loading evaluates equipment for proper performance,
safety, and functionality. Performs adjustments, and as necessary,
troubleshooting, testing, and/or minor repair.
- Recommends additional equipment and/or supplies to customers
based on their needs or requests.
- Upon pick-up, equipment is properly tagged, field cleaned if
indicated and bagged prior to placing in truck, and returned to the
branch to be cleaned, function tested and placed in the proper area
of the warehouse.
- Monitors and updates documentation and tracking system(s)
related to the purchase, issuance, recall, repair, and maintenance
of patient care equipment and related components and
- Maintains and monitors the inventory of patient care equipment
and supplies in the home.
- As required, may load and unload liquid oxygen, concentrators
and other basic respiratory care equipment to/from the delivery
vehicle and customer's home.
- Communicates, and coordinates activities with, management and
dispatch personnel concerning delivery schedules and service
- All deliveries are made adhering strictly to the traffic laws
and regulations as established by the Department of Transportation.
Must complete manifest for hazardous materials and all legal
documentation requirements as needed for Department of
Transportation and Federal Drug Administration.
- Must be able to attend vendor-sponsored training or
informational sessions as new products are introduced when
- May lead departmental meetings and perform departmental
in-service on new or existing products as a subject matter expert
- Identifies, documents, and reports unused (or the inappropriate
use of) equipment in customer's home and report to supervisor
and/or clinical staff.
- Retrieves and enters basic information to/from USS system
relating to home medical equipment or patient account information
- Serves as a back-up for other areas within the unit or
department, especially during times of special needs or staff
- Reviews medical documentation received to ensure it is within
the insurance regulations to dispense product/ equipment.
- Participate in assigned online and on- the- job training to
learn basic medical terminology, product/ equipment information,
and insurance fundamentals.
- Utilize computer software to create/ maintain electronic
customer accounts. Documents and modifies customer account,
billing, and insurance information as required to keep
- Learn to perform basic and complex equipment assembly,
cleaning, testing, repair, and troubleshooting.
- Greets customers in-person or via phone and determines nature
of inquiry. Within scope of knowledge and authority, assists
customers with product/ service inquiries and equipment questions
- Interprets doctors' orders received for medical equipment;
determines and conveys the appropriate selection to the customer
based on prescription and current insurance coverage.
- Provides product/ equipment descriptions, usage, and
demonstrations regarding equipment and associated supplies to
customers and ensures adequate customer understanding.
- Coordinates the delivery of medical equipment, supplies, and
associated items at customers request or as business needs
- Prepares work orders and coordinates their successful
implementation with the appropriate internal and external
- Serve as back up to others such as dispatch and cleaning room
during times of special needs or absences.
- Prepare for and perform physical inventory counts.
- Assist Memorial Home Services management with the Joint
Commission preparation and surveys.
- Ensures that each customer receives outstanding service by
providing a friendly environment, which includes greeting and
acknowledging every customer, maintaining solid product knowledge,
and all other aspects of customer service.
- Provide training and educational experiences for less
experienced staff members.
- Participate in mid and year-end inventory processes.
- Performs other related work as required or requested.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative
summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by
incumbents of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform
tasks other than those specifically presented in this
Keywords: Memorial Health, Springfield , Medical Service Technician, Healthcare , Springfield, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!